Friday, January 23, 2009

Well...that was fun *insert eye roll here*

So yesterday I had to go to the OB for one of my twice weekly Non Stress Test (since I am now considered high risk). For those who don't know, a NST is when they monitor the baby's heart rate in response to its movement. Basically, the heart rate should increase when the baby is moving and decrease during rest.

The first time I went in for an NST, the nurse asked me if I had eaten or had any juice prior immediately prior to the test. I told her I had not. "Oh....you need to drink some juice before you come to get the baby moving." So, she gave me some juice, we did the test...no problem.

The second time I went in, I had juice in the office (I forgot my juice at school) and took the test. Baby girl didn't want to wake up, but finally did and they saw the "peaks and valleys" on the heart rate monitor that they want to see.

Ok, so I go in yesterday. I remember to drink my juice, and the midwife (who I am not particularly fond of anyways for a few reasons) hooks me up. She doesn't get movement in the first 2 minutes, so she gives me more juice to drink. Well, all this sugar wakes baby girl up and she starts her little karate/dance/circus performance. Obviously, her heart rate is nice and high and because she literally did not stop moving for more than a half a minute at a time, she didn't get a resting heart rate. Midwife comes back in and tells me that because she doesn't see the peaks and valleys, I have to go to labor and delivery at the hospital to get monitored. She then asks me if I have my bag packed in case they decide to deliver the baby~~ok, I'll admit, that sent me a little over the deep end.

Before I go, they sent me back to the ultrasound tech. Immediately after she started, she looked at me and said "You are feeling decreased movement?" I told her no, quite the opposite. She said the baby had not stopped moving since she started and that usually they only send you to the hospital if there is decreased movement. Lucky me...I get to be the exception!

I called Justin on the way and he met me at the hospital. After checking in, they hooked me up to the monitor (now it is sometime around 6:00pm) and guess what, within 45 minutes, we had all the nice peaks and valleys that were needed to pass the test. Thankfully everything was fine, but this was not how I planned to spend the better part of the afternoon/evening yesterday.

I go back to the OB on Monday for another NST. This time I am taking my juice in with me, and making them SWEAR to me that I will not have the same problem I had yesterday before I drink a drop since apparently having too active of a baby at times can be an issue.

GRRRRR...why can't this just be simple? This "non stress test" may not have been stressful for little girl, but it sure stressed out her mom!

We still have not heard back from the perinatologist regarding the neurologist appointment, so I plan to call them today.

Please continue to pray for our little girl.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Julie,

Our family is praying for little girl and that all these fears and worries will be replaced with joy with the birth of a healthy baby girl.

Lord bless you guys.

Jeremy and the "other" Bannister family