Friday, February 5, 2010

What a week...

This week was HARD and LONG! LA is quickly approaching her 1st birthday and that means dr appointments galore. This week, she had an appointment EVERY.SINGLE.DAY!!! Oh fun! So, now for the good, the bad, and the ugly.

Ok, the good. Well, there are actually 2 goods! We have "graduated" from the neurosurgeon and the ophthalmologist.

First, the ophthalmologist (which is also the "ugly"). Ugly because we waited for 2 hours in the waiting room. Uh huh...two hours with an 11 month old who needs a nap. AGONIZING! However, all is forgiven since we NEVER HAVE TO GO BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LA's eyes are absolutely perfect and by perfect, I mean, the ophthalmologist said she will probably NEVER need glasses until she is an old lady! Everything about her eyes is perfectly formed. Hooray!

The neurosurgeon also said "Have a great life!" as he said goodbye to us FOREVER! Her head size is developing normally so we are outta there! No need for his services anymore!

Ok, now the bad.

We got rid of two specialists...and picked up two more :(

We had our first visit with an endocrinologist this week as the pituitary gland sits very close to the corpus callosum and when one is affected, sometimes the other is as well. All indications are that her pituitary gland is fine, but we are having one blood test done to double check her sodium numbers. I must say, I learned more about the pituitary gland than I ever thought I would. Of course we knew about puberty, but there is soooooooooooo much more. Seriously, this one major gland! Hopefully the tests will come back normal and we will just check in with the endo periodically to make sure all is as it should be.

We also added GI to our list as LA is not gaining as much weight as she should be. More blood tests, stool samples (oh fun). Adding supplements to her food and counting every calorie. Ironically, most people count calories to LOSE weight. Not our LA...we are counting to GAIN weight. Lucky LA is going to get blood drawn on her birthday (sad isn't it), but it will be early in the morning and we can do the GI and the Endo labs at the same time.

More to update, but need to go pick up a little girl who just woke up!

2 comments:

Lacey said...

I am glad you got rid of the two specialists....that has to feel soo good!

I am so glad she is doing so well...

We have two issues that the endo Doc. takes care of. I hope your labs come back perfect.

I laugh so hard at your "when good toys go bad" that my husband had to ask what I was looking at.

Keep up the good work LA! and mama!

And so that I don't miss it...have a wonderfully happy 1st birthday LA!!!

Candice said...

Things are looking great! I'm so glad she is doing well. She is so cute...by summe I think it will be playdate time :}