Sunday, December 20, 2009

And we have wireless :)

We do have wireless access here at the hospital, so I will be able to give some updates on Lily Anne's progress :)

First---how is she doing?

Well, she is improving...slowly. They have lowered her oxygen since her sats are maintaining themselves. Her breathing rate has returned to "normal" levels and her heart rate is also staying in a more normal range. Unfortunately, as of this morning, her chest x-ray did not show much improvement, but even the nurses agree that she is more active and alert and those are signs of improvement for sure! She also began taking in liquid by bottle. We started her off on Pedialyte...she held it down twice so now she has had two feedings of 4+ ounces by bottle :) Ironically, discussing her feeding habits reminds me of the LAST time we were in an ICU.

Another good/bad thing is that she has pulled out her IV line. This is bad because she has no more veins to go in. You heard me...not a one. Thanks to some unsuccessful tries and a HUGE blowout last night of her iv, we are out of veins. The good news is that, as long as she continues to eat and takes her meds orally, they are going to go without for now. If she doesn't, they will probably do a PICC line. They are trying to avoid it just because she has been poked and prodded A LOT!!!

Yet another good/bad thing with her improving is that the more alert she is, the crankier this girl tends to be. LA is a very independent, on the go kind of girl. Not one to sit placidly and cuddle. With all these lines attached to her, she can't move around as she wants. Not to mention, she really doesn't have the energy and she still feels pretty pitiful. All this adds up to one fussy little lady at times.

A highlight for her tonight was a bath. At first, she was not digging the idea, but then she realized that she could splash it all over the place, and no one cared. Needless to say, she took full advantage of the situation.

Several of you have asked if you can visit or if we need anything. I did confirm that the hospital allows visitors from 8:30-8:30. As far as needing anything, we are doing pretty well. Depending on how long we are here, we may take some of you up on your meal offerings. Thank you for all your prayers and messages. ICU is never a fun place to be, but it is made a little easier knowing we are all loved.

I have pictures to share, but Blogger and the CHOA network are not cooperating tonight.

9 comments:

Tracey Brabant said...

Cranky is good! We definitely like cranky... it means she's feeling a bit better. I would love to make a meal for you and Justin. Just let me know when. (I make a mean roast!) Much love and many prayers to all of you.

Tracey

Cynthia said...

Please know that Kimmie and I are thinking about you and we pray that she is better SOON and you are all home for Chrismas!

Anonymous said...

Good to hear that LA is showing signs of improvement. Amie landed in hospital at 8months while I had a birthday party with 64 kids at home.
It was our last party before leaving SA and we had a joint party for 2 kids and a farewell so all the parents were there too. CHAOS!
Hang in there, we are praying for a quick recovery and Christmas at home.
Debbie

Toni said...

Kyle and I would love to make a meal for u. Pls text me 770-655-0080 and let me know when the best day & time would be for us to bring it over to u & whether to bring it to the hospital or home. We are all hoping for a speedy recovery. Hang in there!!

Nonna said...

We are praying that you will all be home and rested by Christmas. I can't help but smile when I think about how I prayed for Hannah to be a strong fighter when she was in ICU as an infant, then had to remember those prayers when she was a strong fighter as a teenager:) Now that she's an adult, I'm grateful again for that fighter spirit. Clearly LA has it too.

Anonymous said...

The Bannister family is in my prayers. Hope sweet little Lily bounces back quickly.

Thinking of you and yours often,
Charlotte D.

Doreen Griffeth said...

My thoughts and prayers are with you. She's a strong little girl. Thanks for keeping us posted.
DG

Nonna said...

I sent a comment this morning but it disappeared! Reading this reminds me of praying for Hannah (my independent girl who also wasn't snuggly) to be strong when she was an infant in ICU. When she was a teenager I had to remember that I had prayed for her to have that strength:) Now that she's an adult, I'm grateful for it again. We are praying for strength for all of you!

MK said...

Hey doll! being in any hospital for any one you love is heart wrenching! Our LA will come through with flying colors! She is so determined and strong! She will pull through this with God's loving arms wrapped around her! She knows there are so many shopping dates with her Auntie MK in her future she has to fight this. Allen and I have been thinking and praying for you all! We love you!
MK